CORE VALUES AND MANDATE
Uganda AIDS Commission Core Values
- Stakeholder responsiveness – the Commission undertakes to respond to stakeholder needs in real time and to proactively predict stakeholders’ expectations and devise measures to meet them.
- Integrity - As an organization, we strive to promote openness, trust, transparency, accountability and respect in all our undertakings.
- Professionalism – in whatever the Commission does, we strive for adherence to ethical codes of conduct, exercising fairness and impartially and delivery of quality service.
- Partnership – collaboration and partnership is core to the Commission’s service delivery mechanisms. Building and strengthening partnership is not only a core value but also a mechanism to deliver services.
- Team work – Whereas the Commission cherishes and continues to reward individual merit, we believe in rallying individual efforts together in a manner that creates synergies. Team work and team building is therefore central to the Commission’s core values.
The mandate of UAC is to provide oversight and coordination of all HIV/AIDS related activities in the country. The commission does not engage in direct implementations of interventions but takes strategic leadership in effective harmonization of action by the various players, within agreed policy and programme parameters.
The commission’s coordination role translates into the following key function areas:
- Defining overarching HIV/AIDS policy and facilitating formulation of thematic national policies and guidelines
- Leading HIV/AIDS national strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Spearheading advocacy for attention to HIV/AIDS issues
- Mobilizing and ensuring equitable allocation and effective utilization of resources
- Fostering functional linkages among partners in the country and with the outside
- Gathering, packaging and disseminating strategic HIV/AIDS information and leveraging knowledge
- Promoting and supporting HIV/AIDS related research.